Featured Post

REVIEW: Are we learning from China's experiences to minimize the negative impacts of concrete usage?

The use of concrete exploded to fuel China's rise. Now the costs of this weighty material are being counted. China's recent addiction to concrete stands in stark contrast to its historical reliance on timber as the primary building material. This shift, driven by rapid urbanization, has catapulted China to the forefront of global cement production, accounting for over half of the world's annual output. However, the majority of this concrete is consumed domestically, with little being exported. China's urban centers, despite their impressive growth, face a significant challenge—they are sinking. A recent study reveals that vast swathes of the population now reside in major cities experiencing subsidence at a rate exceeding 3mm per year. In certain areas, such as parts of Beijing, the sinking rate is even more pronounced, reaching over 45mm annually. The study also projects that by 2120, approximately a quarter of China's coastal land will be submerged below sea level

CAREERTIPS: 13 reasons why Hardhat Professionals believe Professional Registration is important.

Construction and Built Environment Professionals share 13 reasons why they believe Professional Registration is an essential career move.

1. Opportunities beyond our shores

If the career choice you made allows for advancement while ensuring compliance with industry standards, PR Registration should be a compulsory tick in every graduates box. Furthermore, it allows you the opportunity of expanding your horizons beyond our shores.

2. Global Competitiveness

Construction/Built Environment Professionals need to embark on a journey towards Professional registration to be globally competitive. Being a value add to any organization requires one to personally invest in themselves.

3. Reassurance to clients

Your professional registration is like a license to operate which opens many doors for you and the CPD requirements ensure that you keep up to date with the changes in the industry. It also gives your clients a reassurance that if the service has not been conducted properly they can have recourse through professional indemnity.

4. Active industry participant

My career has been positively impacted by my professional registration as every single opportunity that I have been given has been dependent on my registration status. Had I not been registered, I would not be where I am today. It has also provided me access to platforms which have allowed me to be an active participant in the industry, which has ensured my continued professional development.

5. Increases the level of responsibility

Since I became a professional registered engineer , the level of responsibility at work has increased . My marketability has also increased , as more and more employers are now requiring registration with ECSA as a prerequisite for appointment to certain engineering positions .

6. Accountability

I believe it should be a goal for every built environment professional to register with their respective councils. An individual who is not accountable to anyone but him/herself is not only dangerous to the clients but to the profession at large.

7. Boosts credibility and confidence

I registered to gain credibility as a professional and confidence that my competence has been assessed by other professionals knowledgeable in my field of expertise. Furthermore, being a registered professional improves marketability as more and more employers are requiring registration with ECSA as a prerequisite for appointment to certain engineering projects/positions.

8. Climb the corporate ladder

The impact has been good because I was able to climb the corporate ladder much faster and also trusted with more challenges. This has helped me a great deal to grow as a professional and develop creative problem solving approaches.

9. Credibility

It's been excellent. So many opportunities opened up for me due to the registration but most importantly, it has given credibility and weight to my name when it comes to industry related matters within industry peers and within corporate circles as well.

10. Opened doors to participate in various projects

The day you register doesn’t change you as an engineer. It does mean that you become accountable for all aspects of the designs you perform. You realize this the first time you sign off on something. Within our company, your professional registration means moving up a step with the associated benefits and the opportunity to be promoted to the next level. Commercially. it opens the door to tender on, or participate in, projects that require professional registration.

ALSO READ: Top 6 strategies to build a successful Hardhat Professional career according to employers

11. Marketability

Ever since my registration, I had to turn down about three interview call outs and declined one offer of employment. If I was not registered, I doubt I would have been considered. My Professional registration is also playing a huge role even in my current role.

12. Career Progression

My career progression up the corporate ladder would not have been possible without it. As a result of my registration I was also entrusted with projects that would not have been possible without registration. It has helped me to get to where I am today in my career and has given me great work opportunities.

13. Confidence to lead

Once you have decided to study for a particular profession, it is only natural that you see it through all its life cycle stages. Besides deep knowledge of the industry, being professional registered gives you confidence to lead and direct projects with full accountability.

Therefore it is fair to conclude that Professional registration is designed to give a boost to a Hardhat Professional career in ways that will take years if done on an individual initiative.

CAREERTIPS are compiled with the input from both industry employers and Professionals
If you are a Construction/Built Environment Professional and would like to participate subscribe here

If you are you an Employer or Employer representative and you would like to participate . Submit your details here

Comments