Featured Post

NEWS: Coastal wetlands are unable to adapt to the rate of sea-level rise and are constrained by infrastructure

Wetlands, precious ecosystems that shield coastlines, safeguard drinking water from saltwater contamination, and nourish diverse wildlife, face a dire threat from the accelerating pace of sea-level rise, driven by global warming. Wetlands have historically adapted to rising sea levels by expanding upward and inland. However, predictions indicate that the waterline will soon shift far too rapidly for wetlands to keep pace. Consequently, future decades may witness the tragic loss of these vital wetland ecosystems. Wetlands along coastlines have historically played valuable roles for people and wildlife, but are now facing the threat of sea-level rise. As temperatures rise, sea levels are rising at an accelerating rate, and wetlands are unable to keep pace by building upward and migrating inland. This is due to human-induced climate change and the burning of fossil fuels, which has warmed the oceans and melted glaciers. Sea levels are now rising at about 10 millimeters per year, and are

PROFILE : My journey to Professional registration - Nozipho Madlala

Nozipho Madlala a Professional Land surveyor tells us about HER JOURNEY TO PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION


Please give us a brief summary on your career to date

My career in Geomatics spans 12 years. I have largely worked for the South African Government, having started off as a Survey Technician at the Office of the Surveyor-General in KwaZulu-Natal and then as a Professional Land Surveyor at the Office of the Surveyor-General in Limpopo.

During my period of integrated learning (prior to registration) I had the opportunity of working with various professional land surveyors around KwaZulu-Natal, which was a life-changing experience as I learnt and grew a lot during those two years. I am currently based in the Western Cape where I am employed as a Senior Professional Officer (GIS & Surveys) at the City of Cape Town.

ALSO READ: MY JOURNEY TO PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION - Sibani Ntuli

What is your current Professional Registration status?

I am registered as a Professional Land Surveyor and as a Geographic Information Science (GISc)Technician with the South African Geomatics Council. I registered as a GISc Technician in the year 2010 and as a Professional Land Surveyor in the year 2017. I am also a registered Sectional Titles Practitioner with the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform (since 2018).

What were your views on Professional Registration before your current status?

I have always been aware of the importance of registration in my line of work. In South Africa, one cannot practice as either a Professional Land Surveyor or a Sectional Title Practitioner if they are not registered with the relevant body. These professions are highly regulated as they deal with land and other immovable property. In order to safeguard the interests of the public, registration is a requirement for practicing professionals.

You can also share your journey to professional registration good or bad by sending us you details here 

Have your views on Professional Registration changed since you started this journey?

My views have not changed. If one wishes to practice as a Professional Land Surveyor, it is important to register so that they can be held to account for the work they produce and the manner in which they produce it. Registration is not only in the interest of the public, but also in the interest of the Professional as they can also perform their work in accordance with prescribed standards and will be obliged to conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.

How has your career been impacted by your Professional Registration journey?

My career has been positively impacted by my professional registration as every single opportunity that I have been given has been dependent on my registration status. Had I not been registered, I would not be where I am today. It has also provided me access to platforms which have allowed me to be an active participant in the industry, which has ensured my continued professional development.

Would you advise Construction/Built Environment Professionals to embark on this journey?

I would advise anyone who wishes to practice in their particular industry to register and ensure that their registration status remains in good standing.


If you would like to recieve email alerts when My Journey to Professional Registration article is published submit your details here

You could also share your journey whether you had good or bad experience  you can send us the details here







Comments