Featured Post

VACANCY: Civil Site Quantity Surveyor

A Durban, South Africa-based construction company seeks a Civil Site Quantity Surveyor to ensure profitability and efficiency of a Civil Engineering project. Purpose To play a pivotal role in ensuring the profitability and efficiency of a Civil Engineering project Experience Required 5-10 years’ quantity surveying experience working in a contracting environment on large civil works, roads and earthworks projects Qualifications required • National Diploma in Building or BTech in Quantity Surveying • Computer literate with proficiency in CCS Candy/BuildSmart Competencies Required Knowledge of relevant construction contracts and regulations Proficiency in CCS Candy Software Strong analytical and problem-solving skills Excellent communication and negotiation skills Ability to work well in a team and independently If you qualify for the position and you would like to apply send your details to  vacancies@hardhatpro.co.za You can follow our WhatsAPP channel for informative content on the har

PROFILE : My journey to Professional Registration - Wakgotla Monyera

Professional Construction Project Manager Wakgotla Monyera shares MY JOURNEY TO PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION


Give us a brief summary on your career

After graduating for my BTech in Construction Management with Cape Peninsula University of Technology in 2006, I was fortunate enough to be employed by Target Projects in Cape Town as a Junior Project Manager where I was mentored by the experienced Andrew Hoeks. In 2009, I became a Project Manager with Hoboyi & Associates in Johannesburg where I started to lead and manage projects on my own. 

I moved to Kimberley in 2012 to work for Independent Development Trust as a Programme Implementation Manager where I led and managed many professionals and contractors for over 6 years. I moved to the Housing Development Agency in 2018 as a Development Manager until recently.

What is your current Professional Registration status?

I am currently registered as Professional Construction Project Manager (PrCPM) with the SACPCMP.

ALSO READ PROFILE: My journey to Professional Registration - Viren Gajathar

What were your views on Professional Registration before your registration?

Firstly it was industrial reputation more than anything, I felt like even though I have acquired this massive experience through the years, clients and peers would just question my expertise because I am not professionally registered. Secondly, I felt like when you are professionally registered, you are easily marketable in the industry. I am not sure how many positions I applied for and could not even crack a simple interview before I was registered.

Have your views on Professional Registration changed since you got registered?

My views have not changed, they are still the same as before my Professional Registration. The industry peers and clients give respect to a registered professional and his/her views are considered most of the time. In terms of marketability, I have been headhunted, shortlisted for interviews and approached to provide consultancy services for other businesses.

How has your career been impacted by your Professional Registration journey?

I became a candidate in 2009 and only registered as a professional in 2018. When I was working for Target Projects and Hoboyi & Associates I did not take advantage of my professionally registered mentors to register as a professional early. After moving to Kimberley, I struggled to get professionally registered personnel in the Northern Cape province as they were very scarce. I managed to be mentored by the late Albert Pretorius (may his generous soul rest in peace) from 2015 until my professional registration in 2018. I feel like if I had registered earlier, I could have achieved some of my goals earlier but there are no regrets, only lessons learnt.

Would you advise Construction/Built Environment Professionals to embark on this journey?

Indeed, once you have decided to study for a particular profession, it is only natural that you see it through all its life cycle stages. Besides deep knowledge of the industry, being professional registered gives you confidence to lead and direct projects with full accountability.

If you are Hardhat Professional (Construction/Built Environment Professional) and would like to share your journey to professional registration please submit your details here

Comments