Featured Post

NEWS: The construction sector is well poised for illicit activities.

A recent government report in Kenya disclosed a startling statistic, indicating that more than half of the private companies documented for money laundering activities are connected to the construction sector. This report has garnered significant attention and highlights the prevalence of irregular activities in this industry, which is characterized by the intensive use of cash. The construction industry is booming in Kenya, having contributed 7.1 percent of the GDP in 2022. However, this growth has made it a prime target for illicit activities, such as money laundering, which has placed Kenya on the grey list of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), an international anti-money laundering watchdog. This grey-listing indicates that Kenya is not effectively implementing FATF's standards to combat money laundering and terrorist financing, including maintaining an efficient register of beneficial ownership. Analysts warn that this could damage the reputation of Kenya's financial

PROFILE: My journey to Professional Registration - Viren Gajathar

Viren Gajathar a Water and Human Settlements Project Manager tells us about MY JOURNEY TO PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION



Please give us a brief summary on your career

I started off as an Industrial Technician for the Department of Agriculture in KwaZulu Natal. I was involved in irrigation, soil conservation and dams. I was with them for 8 years.

I then worked in the Consulting Engineering space, with one of the largest Consulting Engineering Companies in South Africa. I focused mainly on Water Engineering and later in Project Management for water projects. I had been with that company for about 13 years and my career progression was good.

I later joined 2 other consulting companies, focusing on water and human settlements projects and more on the Project Management of these projects.

What is your current Professional Registration status?

I am Registered as a Professional Engineering Technologist and a Professional Construction Project Manager, with ECSA and SACPCMP respectively.

What were your views on Professional Registration before your current status?

I always wanted to register as soon as possible and belong to a professional body.

Have your views on Professional Registration changed since you started this journey?

No. I wish a lot more eligible candidates actually registered. It makes the fraternity much stronger. All candidates should register as soon as they can.

ALSO READ PROFILE: My journey to Professional Registration - Sibongiseni Mbadamana

How has your career been impacted by your Professional Registration journey?

Definitely impacted positively. My career progression up the corporate ladder would not have been possible without it. As a result of my registration I was also entrusted with projects that would not have been possible without registration. It has helped me to get to where I am today in my career and has given me great work opportunities.

Would you advise Construction/Built Environment Professionals to embark on this journey?

Definitely yes. Register as soon as you are eligible to do so. Registration is becoming a requirement for a number of tenders. It definitely opens doors for new opportunities.

You are also invited to share your journey to professional registration by submitting  your details here


If you would like to recieve email alerts when MY JOURNEY TO PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION article is published submit your details here


Comments