Featured Post

NEWS: Coastal wetlands are unable to adapt to the rate of sea-level rise and are constrained by infrastructure

Wetlands, precious ecosystems that shield coastlines, safeguard drinking water from saltwater contamination, and nourish diverse wildlife, face a dire threat from the accelerating pace of sea-level rise, driven by global warming. Wetlands have historically adapted to rising sea levels by expanding upward and inland. However, predictions indicate that the waterline will soon shift far too rapidly for wetlands to keep pace. Consequently, future decades may witness the tragic loss of these vital wetland ecosystems. Wetlands along coastlines have historically played valuable roles for people and wildlife, but are now facing the threat of sea-level rise. As temperatures rise, sea levels are rising at an accelerating rate, and wetlands are unable to keep pace by building upward and migrating inland. This is due to human-induced climate change and the burning of fossil fuels, which has warmed the oceans and melted glaciers. Sea levels are now rising at about 10 millimeters per year, and are

PROFILE: My unconventional career - Theuns Eloff

Theuns Eloff a Construction Professional who currently presents short courses  in the construction industry tell us about MY UNCONVENTIONAL CAREER

What was your 1st career choice in the Built Environment?

Construction Professional - Civil Engineering

What motivated you to get into your 1st career choice?

Money and work opportunity


What makes your career journey unconventional?

I found a way of using my Civil Engineering knowledge to fit my personality
Give us brief history of your unconventional journey and the experiences you gained along the way

When I was studying for my Civil Engineering degree a construction company visited our University, to interview potential candidates. I was offered the job, because I pitched up for the interview in a T- shirt and shorts when everyone else was in a suit with a lot of books.

The interviewer's response on why they chose me was that those wearing suits were suitable for Consulting Engineering firms and I was dressed like a real contractor, so I would be a good fit for them.

I spent a few years with this specific contractor and when I started to look around for other opportunities. I was invited to three interviews, two with Consulting Engineering firms and one with a Construction company. The Consulting firms were, in my opinion typical Engineers, thick glasses and lots of high level questions. The Contractor on the other hand I met at a bar, and I immediately felt at home. I accepted the Contractors offer and after a few years I resigned and was approached to present courses in Construction, due to my skill of being able to talk non stop for days. This opportunity fitted my personality like a glove!!

What is your current role and what are you learning from it?

I do short courses in the construction industry. I have learnt too much to mention, but one thing stands out. We have amazing people, talents, skills and drive in South Africa, but it is all being disrespected and bullied by politics.

Looking back, what have been key learning points in your unconventional career?

I followed my gut feelings, I kept to what my personality is, and always followed the flow of life. Don't go against your life stream, when there are choices make them and follow them.

If you also have had an unconventional career share it with Hardhat Professionals by submitting the details here

If you would like to be notified via email when an unconventional career article is published subscribe here

Comments