Featured Post

NEWS: Coastal wetlands are unable to adapt to the rate of sea-level rise and are constrained by infrastructure

Wetlands, precious ecosystems that shield coastlines, safeguard drinking water from saltwater contamination, and nourish diverse wildlife, face a dire threat from the accelerating pace of sea-level rise, driven by global warming. Wetlands have historically adapted to rising sea levels by expanding upward and inland. However, predictions indicate that the waterline will soon shift far too rapidly for wetlands to keep pace. Consequently, future decades may witness the tragic loss of these vital wetland ecosystems. Wetlands along coastlines have historically played valuable roles for people and wildlife, but are now facing the threat of sea-level rise. As temperatures rise, sea levels are rising at an accelerating rate, and wetlands are unable to keep pace by building upward and migrating inland. This is due to human-induced climate change and the burning of fossil fuels, which has warmed the oceans and melted glaciers. Sea levels are now rising at about 10 millimeters per year, and are

PROFILE : My journey to Professional Registration - Sibani Ntuli

Sibani Ntuli a Candidate Quantity Surveyor shares MY JOURNEY TO PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION.

Please give us a brief summary on your career to date

I am currently a candidate Quantity Surveyor with seven (7) years experience in the built environment. I started my career at Group Five Coastal as a bursar in 2013 and up to a mid level site QS when I left at the beginning of 2018. I joined the National Dept. of Public Works & Infrastructure under the Young Professionals Programme. The programme was initiated to capacitate the department with more professionally registered professionals.

What were your views on Professional Registration before your current status?

When I started my career I did not think it was a necessity and perhaps this was because I started my career working for a construction company and not a professional firm. The company had no professionally registered Quantity Surveyors and minimal registered Engineers, even at an executive level. To us graduates and juniors, this meant that our council registration was not a prerequisite to our career progression.

Have your views on Professional Registration changed since you started this journey?

Yes, I have since learned that professional registration opens up many doors for you both locally and internationally. I also think that registration is like an endorsement from a statutory body to say that you are fit and proper to dispense advice as per your registration.
How has your career been impacted by your Professional Registration journey?

The impact has been positive because it has re-ignited the hunger for knowledge and for learning about the profession and not just from a theoretical perspective but also from a practical problem solving perspective.

ALSO READ: MY JOURNEY TO PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION - Moosa Mahomed

Would you advise Construction/Built Environment Professionals to embark on this journey?


Yes, definitely. Your professional registration is like a license to operate which opens many doors for you and the CPD requirements ensure that you keep up to date with the changes in the industry. It also gives your clients a reassurance that if the service has not been conducted properly they can have recourse through professional indemnity.

You could also share your journey whether you had good or bad experience  you can send us the details here

If you would like to recieve email alerts when My Journey to Professional Registration article is published submit your details here

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed reading this, I have always wanted to register as a Candidate Quantity Surveyor but really struggled because at the time I only had a National Diploma in Building . This was a challenge for me as I did not have a Professional Quantity Surveyor who was willing to mentor me in order for this to be possible. However I am happy that I will finally be getting my Btech in Quantity Survey and this should make things a lot easier. I suppose then after I will have to search hard for a Professional Quantity Surveyor to mentor me for me to go further in this Journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feedback. I am really happy for you that you will now be able to register as a candidate and take your career to the next level. Where are you based and perhaps we can see how we can link you to a mentor.

      Regards,
      Sibani

      Delete

Post a Comment