Featured Post

NEWS: To what extent are Africa's megacities equipped and prepared to cope with the impacts of climate change?

The health repercussions of climate change in African cities require immediate attention. These urban areas find themselves on the front lines, facing rising temperatures and worsening air pollution. To safeguard both people and the environment, governments must act decisively. They must channel investments into green infrastructure, champion clean energy initiatives, and bolster healthcare systems. African cities face substantial health challenges due to climate change, including flood risks, droughts, and the spread of vector-borne diseases. Droughts are a significant cause of mortality globally and are indirectly linked to extreme heat. Indirect health issues arise through food-borne and vector-borne diseases, non-communicable illnesses, displacement, and mental health stressors. Air pollution intensifies with fossil fuel combustion, contributing to over 5 million deaths annually. African cities have responded by implementing policies to minimize resource consumption and reduce gree

CAREERTIP: 3 key considerations that have fueled my career growth

Construction health and safety professional Hlayiseka Ngobeni shares valuable careertips centered around three pivotal considerations that served as significant turning points in his professional trajectory.


As I reflect on this crucial juncture of my professional and personal journey, I've identified several important considerations that have emerged. Among these, three stand out as especially impactful and deserve in-depth exploration

Leaders Who Have Challenged and Inspired Growth:

  • I am immensely grateful for the exceptional leaders who have recognized my potential and pushed me outside of my comfort zone, providing opportunities to grow and diversify my roles. Their mentorship and guidance have been instrumental in shaping my leadership style and broadening my perspectives.
  • These leaders have not only seen my potential but have also believed in it, even when I may not have seen it myself. They have challenged me to take risks, to think creatively, and to always strive for excellence.
  • I am particularly grateful for the way these leaders have supported me in my personal and professional development. They have encouraged me to set goals, to seek out new opportunities, and to never give up on my dreams.
  • I am confident that the lessons I have learned from these leaders will stay with me throughout my career and that I will continue to benefit from their guidance and support in the years to come.

Culture of Creativity and Agility:

  • The culture of creativity and agility within my organization has been a catalyst for innovation and progress. This environment has empowered teams to think outside the box, embrace new ideas, and drive meaningful change in our industry.
  • I am particularly proud of the way our organization has been able to adapt to the changing needs of our customers and the market. We have been able to do this by fostering a culture of innovation and by being willing to take risks.
  • I am also grateful for the way our organization has supported employees in their pursuit of new ideas. We have a number of programs in place to help employees develop their ideas and to bring them to market.
  • I believe that the culture of creativity and agility is essential for any organization that wants to succeed in today's rapidly changing world.

Remarkable Team Collaboration:

  • I have had the privilege of leading talented teams who possess a genuine passion for their work and a strong commitment to collaboration. Their collective expertise, diverse backgrounds, and willingness to contribute to cross-functional initiatives have been instrumental in achieving remarkable results.
  • I am particularly grateful for the way my teams have been able to work together seamlessly, even when faced with challenges. They have always been willing to put the needs of the team first and to support each other in achieving our goals.
  • I am also grateful for the way my teams have been able to adapt to change. They have always been willing to learn new things and to embrace new ways of working.
  • I believe that the remarkable team collaboration that I have experienced is essential for any organization that wants to achieve great things.

Hlayiseka Ngobeni has 13 years of HSE experience and 5 years of quality management experience. He has worked for numerous companies and holds many qualifications in environmental science, GIS, and safety management. He is registered with the SACPCMP as a Candidate Construction Health and Safety Agent (Can CHSA), SAIOSH , The Institute of Working at Height as Basic Fall Arrest Technician and Fall Protection Plan Developer.  

If you would like to share your hardhatCAREERTIPS send them to us here

Follow our WhatsAPP channel for updates on informative content for the hardhatINDUSTRY and hardhatVACANCIES. Click here to view and follow.

Comments