Featured Post

NEWS: Coastal wetlands are unable to adapt to the rate of sea-level rise and are constrained by infrastructure

Wetlands, precious ecosystems that shield coastlines, safeguard drinking water from saltwater contamination, and nourish diverse wildlife, face a dire threat from the accelerating pace of sea-level rise, driven by global warming. Wetlands have historically adapted to rising sea levels by expanding upward and inland. However, predictions indicate that the waterline will soon shift far too rapidly for wetlands to keep pace. Consequently, future decades may witness the tragic loss of these vital wetland ecosystems. Wetlands along coastlines have historically played valuable roles for people and wildlife, but are now facing the threat of sea-level rise. As temperatures rise, sea levels are rising at an accelerating rate, and wetlands are unable to keep pace by building upward and migrating inland. This is due to human-induced climate change and the burning of fossil fuels, which has warmed the oceans and melted glaciers. Sea levels are now rising at about 10 millimeters per year, and are

PROFILE: My story of agony as a Construction Professional

In South Africa construction projects are influenced by the politically connected instead of the qualified and competent, a Construction Professional shares a hardhatSTORY on how this killed his passion for the industry and compromised his career prospects


I am a Construction Professional with 14 yrs experience under my belt, I've worked as Resident Engineer, Assistant RE, Site QS, Site Manager and Facilitator dealing with both Civil and Building sectors. I hold a National Diploma in Building Engineering and I also did Facilitation, Assessor and Moderator courses. I am planning to further my studies which I  couldn't finish because of contract based employment and salaries that were not paid as promised . I'm seeing myself as a PrQS one day owning my consulting or construction company and employing those who intend to walk in the same path as a Hardhat Professional. 

I am concerned about the quality and integrity of the South African construction projects that are being awarded to people who do not have adequate knowledge or experience in the industry, but who have political ties or affiliations. This affects the work that I love and the infrastructure that our society depends on. 

I often find myself working for these politically connected individuals because I have limited options and I have to support my family. I am expected to follow their instructions, even if they contradict the blueprint or compromise the safety standards. I also have to lie about the progress or the problems that arise, in order to protect the reputation of the company. If I do not comply, I risk losing my job.

I also feel frustrated when I see job advertisements that use my credentials or qualifications as part of their tender proposal, but do not involve me in the actual project. I have experienced a situation where a client contacted me and complained about a poor performance in a project that I had no knowledge of, but my name was on their file. I know that not all companies do this, but it is very hard to find a job where I can work with qualified and competent people who respect my skills and expertise. Sometimes, I have to report to people who have no qualifications or experience in the industry, but who are related to the CEO or someone else in power. Sometimes, I have to do their work for them, while they are absent or busy with other things. However, I cannot challenge or question their authority, because it would break the chain of communication and jeopardize my position.

Salaries are sometimes not paid on time and when they do it is not the full payment. When an enquiry is made you get the response that makes it feel like you must be grateful for the little that has been received.  

I am writing this article out of frustration and I also want to bring this issue to the fore because it has sucked my passion for this industry out of me as it has compromised my career prospects and ability to earn a living. I have written this article anonymously because I am still employed by the politically connected and I fear victimization.

Do you have a hardhatSTORY you would like to share about a project/situation that has impacted your career? - share it by submitting the details here.

You can also follow our WhatsAPP channel for informative content on the hardhatINDUSTRY and updates on hardhatVACANCIES. Click here to view and follow.


Comments

  1. This is indeed the agony that many of us in the South African construction industry face.. It would be funny if it was not true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is disheartening to read and hear about these stories at this day and age. Construction sector was a very difficult industry to access and some of us forced the impermeable doors for all South Africans regardless of race, gender or creed. As hard as it was doors opened. To hear that these gross, inhumane and ethics lacking misconducts still exists is beyond disgust. It's a pity that anonymous voice will not be heard in this corruption rooted country of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It’s so sad to hear that story as most of us construction Pr are currently looking overseas as the industry has failed us in this country.
    As long as a person has connections, then they get the project and some of us who wasted years in school are employed by this people and they even tell you they pay your salary.
    It’s sad what is happening in our beloved RSA but what can be done?
    CIDB is sleep on the job as they are allowing this people without construction knowledge to register their companies.
    SACPCMP, APQS and other professional bodies are also sleeping on their job as they allow this craziness to continue to happen.
    But what can one say, this is RSA

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment