Featured Post

VACANCY: Civil Site Quantity Surveyor

A Durban, South Africa-based construction company seeks a Civil Site Quantity Surveyor to ensure profitability and efficiency of a Civil Engineering project. Purpose To play a pivotal role in ensuring the profitability and efficiency of a Civil Engineering project Experience Required 5-10 years’ quantity surveying experience working in a contracting environment on large civil works, roads and earthworks projects Qualifications required • National Diploma in Building or BTech in Quantity Surveying • Computer literate with proficiency in CCS Candy/BuildSmart Competencies Required Knowledge of relevant construction contracts and regulations Proficiency in CCS Candy Software Strong analytical and problem-solving skills Excellent communication and negotiation skills Ability to work well in a team and independently If you qualify for the position and you would like to apply send your details to  vacancies@hardhatpro.co.za You can follow our WhatsAPP channel for informative content on the har

PROFILE: My story and unforgettable journey of learning and growth.

In this hardhatSTORY, Construction Professional Zuko Peter recounts his experience working alongside a highly skilled team of hardhatPROFESSIONALS. This collaborative project provided him with an invaluable opportunity to learn and grow from their expertise.

I have considered leaving the construction industry because of the challenges it faces, but I love the industry and would not leave it for anything. A project that had a lasting positive impact on me was when I worked on a rehabilitation surface road in 2013. It was my first experience working on such a project, and my prior experience had been on access roads. This project was a great opportunity to work with professionals and learn from them. My responsibilities included construction monitoring, payment certificate preparation, remeasurement of works, health and safety adherence, and quality control and assurance.

This project stands out to me because it was a door opener to other road surfacing projects. It also taught me that I can achieve a lot and learn a great deal when working as part of a team. On this project, I learned that traffic accommodation that is not monitored by the municipality can allow road users to do as they please. We overcame this oversight by conducting strategic meetings and requesting traffic official visibility from time to time.

The biggest accomplishment on the project was that we finished on time and its lifespan was perfect. I got to experience this as a local resident. My personal endurance to the ups and downs of construction and my focus on my family have helped me stay in the industry as long as I have.

I believe that political interference, employment of incompetent people, and tenders given to incompetent companies are the biggest challenges facing the South African construction industry. The government must intervene because they are the ones who created the situation.

Zuko Peter - is a Construction Professional with a National Diploma in Building Engineering with over 12 yrs experience in various positions working on Civil and Building sectors.

If you would like to share your STORY about a project or situation that has had a positive impact in your career you can send us the details here


You can also follow our WhatsAPP channel for informative content on the hardhatINDUSTRY and updates on hardhatVACANCIES. Click here to view and follow.


Comments