Featured Post

VACANCY: Civil Site Quantity Surveyor

A Durban, South Africa-based construction company seeks a Civil Site Quantity Surveyor to ensure profitability and efficiency of a Civil Engineering project. Purpose To play a pivotal role in ensuring the profitability and efficiency of a Civil Engineering project Experience Required 5-10 years’ quantity surveying experience working in a contracting environment on large civil works, roads and earthworks projects Qualifications required • National Diploma in Building or BTech in Quantity Surveying • Computer literate with proficiency in CCS Candy/BuildSmart Competencies Required Knowledge of relevant construction contracts and regulations Proficiency in CCS Candy Software Strong analytical and problem-solving skills Excellent communication and negotiation skills Ability to work well in a team and independently If you qualify for the position and you would like to apply send your details to  vacancies@hardhatpro.co.za You can follow our WhatsAPP channel for informative content on the har

PROFILE: This is my story - Leuta Donald Leuta

Built Environment Professional Leuta Donald Leuta shares how his first project helped him build a career foundation that has sustained him in this difficult industry.


My most memorable project as a hardhatPROFESSIONAL was the first project when I was a student site engineer for a construction company. It was on this project that I solidified my love for engineering, building, and construction. I took every opportunity to learn, always reminding myself that "you are only as good as your last performance."

This project also made me realize that I had an opportunity to make a statement and announce my entry into the working world. I needed to make a good impression and start on a high note. On this project, I learned that your biggest mistakes are your greatest lessons. You cannot be truly impactful if you are too afraid to try new things and fail. But most importantly, I learned to seek assistance from competent people with vast experience.

I lacked experience at the time and was prone to make mistakes, but I have no regrets. I embraced all mistakes as learning curves and ensured that they molded me into the person I am today. If I made a mistake, I would always liaise with management, supervisors, and competent people so that they could guide me through my flaws. No one is born knowing everything. I was always kind to myself, knowing that I made mistakes from an honest place of not knowing and never intentionally demonstrated incompetence.

I received a stamp of approval when I was promoted from student to supervisor and entrusted to mentor and train students. I ensured that I did not betray my employer's trust. I worked extra hours to ensure that tasks were completed. Nothing fulfills me more than knowing that I have successfully completed what I started.

This project helped me build a career foundation that has sustained me in this difficult industry. It enabled me to adopt an attitude that says, "I can never be complacent. I must always be learning. I must always stay relevant. I must always be inquisitive. The more I hunt,the more I stay alive in this jungle."

Challenges facing South African Construction industry

In my opinion, the South African construction industry is too politicized. As a country, we can achieve more if we use construction to drive growth, rather than other agendas. I also believe that people deserve opportunities, and companies need to trust their internal skills to uplift upcoming built environment professionals. This industry must open up opportunities for the future. Appetite, hunger, and character are just as important as experience.

Companies need to trust themselves in having enough support structures in place to ensure that junior staff thrive. Lastly, experienced built environment professionals need to register with their relevant councils. It is an exciting journey, and the knowledge gained can never be taken away from you. We need to stop settling and promote continuous development, through mentoring and attending courses.


Leuta Donald Leuta has over 13 years of multi-disciplinary work experience in the roads and buildings sectors, including engineering design and project management. He also has practical experience in managing contracts using the JBCC, GCC, and FIDIC Silver Book.

Follow our WhatsAPP channel here for informative content about the Construction and Built Environment Industries 

Comments