Featured Post

VACANCY: Civil Site Quantity Surveyor

A Durban, South Africa-based construction company seeks a Civil Site Quantity Surveyor to ensure profitability and efficiency of a Civil Engineering project. Purpose To play a pivotal role in ensuring the profitability and efficiency of a Civil Engineering project Experience Required 5-10 years’ quantity surveying experience working in a contracting environment on large civil works, roads and earthworks projects Qualifications required • National Diploma in Building or BTech in Quantity Surveying • Computer literate with proficiency in CCS Candy/BuildSmart Competencies Required Knowledge of relevant construction contracts and regulations Proficiency in CCS Candy Software Strong analytical and problem-solving skills Excellent communication and negotiation skills Ability to work well in a team and independently If you qualify for the position and you would like to apply send your details to  vacancies@hardhatpro.co.za You can follow our WhatsAPP channel for informative content on the har

PROFILE: This is my story - Jaco Venter

Professional Construction Manager (PrCM) Jaco Venter tells us about a project that taught him the value of proper planning.



The project that had the most significant impact on my career was the EN4 upgrade between Matola and Maputo in Mozambique, where I served as Construction Manager. This project stands out to me because it was the most formative experience in my career, providing me with the opportunity to develop my skills and work with an outstanding senior manager and fellow employees.

The project's location across the border taught me the importance of proper planning, as certain items would take a long time to be delivered. I also learned valuable negotiation skills from my Senior Construction Manager, who negotiated with other company sites to obtain key construction equipment and personnel to ensure the success of our project.

I had no regrets about this project because I treated all mistakes as learning experiences and opportunities to grow. Everything about this project was fulfilling, from the experience I gained, the working environment, my fellow employees, and the people I met and became friends with. This project is the foundation that grew my love and passion for this industry which has enabled me to have a sustained career in this challenging industry and has also allowed me to build a strong character.

Challenges facing SA construction industry

In my opinion, the biggest challenge facing the construction industry in South Africa currently is corruption and the "construction mafia," who are only interested in enriching themselves and not allowing the country to move forward with infrastructure development and economic growth. This is also resulting in a mass exodus of many highly skilled engineers, construction managers, and project managers to other countries.


Jaco Venter has been involved in the construction industry since 2011. He began practical training for his National Diploma in that year and has had the privilege of working his way up from a junior site agent at a construction company to a project manager at a consultancy firm.


Follow our WhatsAPP channel here for informative content curated for Construction and Built Environment Professionals

Comments