Featured Post

NEWS: To what extent are we leveraging human ingenuity and innovation to develop effective urban solutions?

A recent study has revealed a concerning vulnerability confronting coastal cities worldwide. Steadily rising sea levels are altering groundwater, rendering it shallower, more saline, and corrosive. This gradual deterioration represents a substantial threat to the extensive networks of underground urban infrastructure that underpin modern city life. A recent study revealed a grave threat faced by coastal cities worldwide due to rising sea levels. This phenomenon is causing coastal groundwater to become shallower, saltier, and more corrosive, damaging buried city infrastructure designed for stable groundwater conditions. This leads to foundation weakening, pipe leaks, and electrical problems, resulting in costly repairs, health risks, and city disruptions. Over 1,500 major cities are already experiencing the negative impacts, with over a billion people at risk. The study urges proactive measures such as early warning systems, developing corrosion-resistant materials, and reimagining city

PROFILE: My journey to Professional Registration - Wesley Borrajeiro

Professional Engineer Wesley Borrajeiro advises hardhatPROFESSIONALS who are engineers is to understand the broader spectrum of engineering and how it relates to other fields as he shares his journey to Professional Registration.


I have always considered professional registration to be essential for career advancement. My views have not changed since embarking on this journey; however, I now view the process and requirements differently, as I believe registration is broadly based on what pure civil engineers do. Often, younger/mid-level structural engineers must carry out more self-study to gain knowledge in environmental and contract-related matters, as these are not features of their day-to-day activities.

I believe my career has been impacted by my registration. Now that I am registered, my role as a senior engineer has been formally realized. Prior to that, I could not move forward in my career.

I did not succeed on my first attempt at registration, due to a poor professional interview. While I do feel like I could have prepared better, I do note that the interview panel asked me questions related to their own experience and not really mine. But after re-applying, I made a concerted effort to ensure I gained a broader knowledge of the field, which I believe in the long term has helped me understand a lot more about the engineering profession and not just the technical facets.

I would recommend this journey to all hardhatPROFESSIONALS because, over and above the career benefits, it creates a sense of achievement but at the same time helps you as the individual engineer develop a more in-depth accountability for your actions or decisions.

My advice to hardhatPROFESSIONALS who are engineers is to pay special attention to what you do, but also understand the broader spectrum of engineering and how it relates to other fields such as project management.

Wesley Borrajeiro - After graduating in 2013, he initially worked as a site engineer at the Kusile power station with Stefanutti Stocks. He then transitioned into consulting structural engineering with L&S Consulting, where he gained experience in commercial and industrial building structures. In 2021, he joined Zutari, where he now practices in the energy, resource, and industrial offshoring space as a structural engineer, carrying out work for clients in Australia and New Zealand.

You can now follow us via Whatsapp for the latest Construction and Built Environment  vacancies and industry updates. To join our WhatsApp channel click here

Comments