Featured Post

NEWS: Coastal wetlands are unable to adapt to the rate of sea-level rise and are constrained by infrastructure

Wetlands, precious ecosystems that shield coastlines, safeguard drinking water from saltwater contamination, and nourish diverse wildlife, face a dire threat from the accelerating pace of sea-level rise, driven by global warming. Wetlands have historically adapted to rising sea levels by expanding upward and inland. However, predictions indicate that the waterline will soon shift far too rapidly for wetlands to keep pace. Consequently, future decades may witness the tragic loss of these vital wetland ecosystems. Wetlands along coastlines have historically played valuable roles for people and wildlife, but are now facing the threat of sea-level rise. As temperatures rise, sea levels are rising at an accelerating rate, and wetlands are unable to keep pace by building upward and migrating inland. This is due to human-induced climate change and the burning of fossil fuels, which has warmed the oceans and melted glaciers. Sea levels are now rising at about 10 millimeters per year, and are

PROFILE: My unconventional career - Pierre van der Spuy

Dr Pierre van der Spuy tells us about MY UNCONVENTIONAL CAREER which led him to fulfill his passion for Bridge design and teaching.


What was your 1st career choice in the Built Environment?

Civil Engineering specializing in Structural designing for buildings

What motivated you to get into your 1st career choice?

In grade 12 I attended the university open day at Stellenbosch, and the impressive water engineering laboratory convinced me to make Civil my first choice.

What makes your career journey unconventional?

My road to bridge engineering took many twists and turns!

I initially applied to Stellenbosch University with Electrical Engineering as a first choice, Actuarial Sciences was my second choice and Civil Engineering was my third. It was actually the water laboratory at Stellenbosch University that convinced me to choose Civil Engineering.

When I began my studies, I learnt that I preferred the modules in Structural Engineering and wanted to become a building designer. I started my career working in buildings, but the reality was too different from the theory and when I got the chance to try my hand at bridge design, I never looked back. I think it is rare that someone can decide on a final career path as early as first year at university, but Civil Engineering offers a range of options and young engineers should experiment to find what they enjoy most.

What is your current role and what are you learning from it?

I am currently an Associate at Zutari in Cape Town. Becoming an associate has taken the focus away from (only) technical involvement, to all aspects of delivering projects. I had to learn quickly about financial management, people leadership and combining resources to deliver a complete package.

Outside of industry I have a teaching role at Stellenbosch University where I teach Advanced Design to the final year students. This is great fun and I enjoy giving back to academia and Stellenbosch University. It is vital that even undergraduate students are exposed to real life designs and it is great to bring this industry experience to the curriculum. A great lesson in teaching is that many students face challenging conditions outside of class and a lecturer needs to learn how to be sensitive and supportive of this.

ALSO READ PROFILE: Unconventional career - Cuthbert Ngairongwe

Looking back, what have been key learning points in your unconventional career?

As a young engineer you should not be scared to put your hand up when exciting projects come along. Rather get into it and ask questions than not getting into it at all!. This has been the case with many projects, including the award winning Olifants River arch bridge.

It is extremely important to step out of your comfort zone in order to grow, I firmly believe this. It was hard to pack up and go back to university again for my PhD, but it was certainly a period of exponential growth and one of the greatest experiences of my life! It has opened the door to so much more and I highly recommend it if you get the chance!

If you also have had an unconventional career share it with Hardhat Professionals by submitting the details here


If you would like to be notified via email when an UNCONVENTIONAL CAREER article is published subscribe here






Comments