Featured Post

NEWS: Coastal wetlands are unable to adapt to the rate of sea-level rise and are constrained by infrastructure

Wetlands, precious ecosystems that shield coastlines, safeguard drinking water from saltwater contamination, and nourish diverse wildlife, face a dire threat from the accelerating pace of sea-level rise, driven by global warming. Wetlands have historically adapted to rising sea levels by expanding upward and inland. However, predictions indicate that the waterline will soon shift far too rapidly for wetlands to keep pace. Consequently, future decades may witness the tragic loss of these vital wetland ecosystems. Wetlands along coastlines have historically played valuable roles for people and wildlife, but are now facing the threat of sea-level rise. As temperatures rise, sea levels are rising at an accelerating rate, and wetlands are unable to keep pace by building upward and migrating inland. This is due to human-induced climate change and the burning of fossil fuels, which has warmed the oceans and melted glaciers. Sea levels are now rising at about 10 millimeters per year, and are

PROFILE: My journey to Professional - Mlondi Cele

Mlondi Cele a Professional Electrical Engineer shares HIS JOURNEY TO PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION.


Please give us a brief summary on your career. 

I graduated at University of Kwazulu-Natal with the Bsc Electrical Engineering degree in 2015. I started my career as an Engineer in Training at Eskom in 2016 within the operation ,maintenance and project engineering environment . In 2018 I joined the National Department of Public Works and Infrastructure as a Candidate Engineer within Professional services in Gqeberha . I was seconded to DFR engineers consulting firm in Gqeberha to get work experience in line with ECSA requirements for registration as a Professional Engineer .

What is your current Professional Registration status?

I am currently registered as a Professional Engineer with ECSA.

What were your views on Professional Registration before your current status?

I have always regarded professional registration important , this was largely imparted on me by my mentors and coaches I had when I started my career at Eskom and later at National Department of Public Works & Infrastructure . Among people who supported me are Mr Azwi Mamanyuha Pr Eng , Mr Elias Maponga Pr Eng , Mr Nkosinathi Ndlela Pr Eng , Mrs Thandi Sishi Pr Eng , Ms Shabnum Behari Pr Eng and Mr Errol Berman Pr Eng .

Have your views on Professional Registration changed since you started this journey?

My views on professional registration have remained positive . I still believe that every professional in the built environment should get registered and be part of the regulatory body . Being a member of a regulatory body inculcates a sense of confidence in the mind of the public ,since they can be rest assured that your competence has been assessed by other professionals (peers knowledgeable in your field ) . I do believe that everyone who has negative views about registration should still register and try to influence the changes within the regulatory body .

ALSO READ: MY JOURNEY TO PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION - Nozipho Madlala

How has your career been impacted by your Professional Registration journey?

My registration has impacted my career positively . Since I became a professional registered engineer , the level of responsibility at work has increased . My marketability has also increased , as more and more employers are now requiring registration with ECSA as a prerequisite for appointment to certain engineering positions .

Would you advise Construction/Built Environment Professionals to embark on this journey?

My advice to Built Environment Professionals who want to get registered is that a Mentor is very important , get someone who can mentor you towards registration . Don't wait for too long before you start putting together all necessary reports for final registration as things can get missing over time .

You could also share your journey whether you had good or bad experience  send us the details here

If you would like to recieve email alerts when My Journey to Professional Registration article is published submit your details here

Comments