Featured Post

NEWS: Coastal wetlands are unable to adapt to the rate of sea-level rise and are constrained by infrastructure

Wetlands, precious ecosystems that shield coastlines, safeguard drinking water from saltwater contamination, and nourish diverse wildlife, face a dire threat from the accelerating pace of sea-level rise, driven by global warming. Wetlands have historically adapted to rising sea levels by expanding upward and inland. However, predictions indicate that the waterline will soon shift far too rapidly for wetlands to keep pace. Consequently, future decades may witness the tragic loss of these vital wetland ecosystems. Wetlands along coastlines have historically played valuable roles for people and wildlife, but are now facing the threat of sea-level rise. As temperatures rise, sea levels are rising at an accelerating rate, and wetlands are unable to keep pace by building upward and migrating inland. This is due to human-induced climate change and the burning of fossil fuels, which has warmed the oceans and melted glaciers. Sea levels are now rising at about 10 millimeters per year, and are

CAREERTIPS: 6 Secrets to successful networking for Construction Professionals

Nomzamo Mlungu shares insights on networking for Construction and Built Environment Professionals based on her own experience.


You're a professional in the construction industry. You've reached a point where you are no longer growing in your current role or the politics of the organization have simply gotten the better of you. So you're ready for your next career move.

You believe that you've left no stone unturned in your job search and have explored what may appear to be all the possible avenues. You've spent hours on the internet uploading your CV on what feels like a million websites. You make it a point to purchase the Sunday papers weekly; not for the consumption of current affairs but to search through the job pages.

However six months, a year or 2 years down the line, you're have not landed a job and are occupying the same seat in your current job. And yet you happen to have a friend that job hops so skillfully; she/he is a source of envy for you. This friend seems to always land the 'perfect' jobs that are steering her or his career in the right direction.

What is their secret, in practical terms that is?

My discovery from having worked in numerous organizations in the industry has simply been: Networking. I have personally witnessed the power of this buzzword in facilitating my career development.

ALSO READ: CareerTip -  The seasons of our lives

Whilst networking is often associated with your ability to ‘work’ a room at a cocktail party or a professional gathering, one can expand the box and view networking beyond these platforms. I have gathered some of my key insights on the subject of networking based on my personal experiences.

1. Making an impression

It means making enough of an impression with the people that you encounter throughout your career for them to feel that they can attest to the next person of your capabilities.

For instance, I was headhunted for my first job post university. A company had contacted my lecturer searching for a QS candidate. She was able to recommend me because I had demonstrated potential through my academic performance. This is the same lecturer who recommended me to an industry magazine to be featured on their spread on the QS profession. Years later, the same lecturer was instrumental in securing a job after I completed my full time MBA.

In this example, the impression was made with my good academic performance. In your case, it could be putting 110% on the next project you’re assigned to.

2. Referrals are key

People trust a referral from someone that they have a relationship with irrespective of whether the referring party has had no direct working relationship with you.

To illustrate, whilst undertaking my research during my MBA, I was introduced by my former lecturer to a person who would assist me in developing my research topic. During this encounter, I happened to take a chance and offer to send him my CV in case he became aware of prospective jobs. He forwarded my CV to a colleague of his. Within a month I received an email from his colleague with a job specification asking if I would be keen on applying for the job.

As you can see the colleague was comfortable enough to approach me on the basis that I had been referred to them by a common contact.

3. Memorable encounters

It is about making yourself stand out and making yourself memorable.

Next time, you attend a course, don't just sit in the room passively, raise your hand and engage the facilitator, engage your fellow participants. Who knows you might be sharing the room with a CEO of a company.

Personally I have had an instance of being offered a job through a connection I made during a 2 week course I attended in Cape Town.

Even if you meet the random person on the plane, speak passionately about your profession; you don't know who is in their network. People respond well to positivity.

Find a way of extending communication beyond the encounter. It could be a matter of offering to join an industry forum that the person may belong to. That alone will mean that you have reason to communicate further with the person. And that gives you the ideal opportunity to channel your CV in their direction.

4. Jobs come looking for you

Once you have established a fairly solid network for yourself, you will find that people will contact you when opportunities arise that are matched to your experience, even when you are not actively seeking.

I have been approached for jobs in this manner on a few occasions where in some cases I have even declined the invitations.

The most memorable experience is being invited to apply for a fairly senior position which ordinarily I would not apply for. I rose to the challenge and applied. Although I was not successful in securing the job, the experience took me out of my comfort zone and was good preparation for similar jobs in future.

In all the instances, I was approached by people with whom I’ve made contact over the years, which basically is my network.

5. Build unconventional relationships

Be willing to establish unconventional relationships in your career.

Why not befriend the tea lady in your office? This person is privy to all the latest developments in the office as she serves tea at all the meetings. She might be able to alert you of potential opportunities within your organization.

Why not forge a more lasting relationship with your recruitment agent? Instead of using them for a single placement, why not allow them to be part of your career journey. I have had the fortune of being placed by the same recruitment agent in three consecutive jobs. How has this benefited me? It meant that he had a clear understanding of my capabilities and career aspirations; and as such was able to match me with jobs that are suitable for me.

6. Tap into your network in your career search

When you find yourself itching for a career move; tap into the network you've established.

Whilst some may view it as embarrassing to call on your former boss to assist in your job search; who knows you better than the people you have worked with.

If you followed my first point of making lasting impressions in all your encounters, then you have yourself a community of people who are willing to vouch for you should an opportunity arise.

Do you have a list of CAREERTIPS you would like to share with Hardhat Professionals? Send it here

If you would lie to recieve email notifications when MY CAREERTIPS are published submit your details here

Comments