Featured Post

OPINION: Built Environment Professionals' participation in upcoming national elections is vital

Mlondi Cele, a Built Environment Professional, emphasizes the significance of the upcoming national elections for the construction and built sectors. He encourages stakeholders to actively participate and articulate their expectations to influence economic policies and attract investments. Cele believes that the involvement of industry professionals and stakeholders in the elections can positively impact the industry's future and create favorable outcomes for all. The South African elections are of paramount importance to the construction and built sectors, as they have the potential to significantly influence their future trajectories. Economic, policy, and regulatory changes stemming from the elections can either catalyze growth or present novel challenges. Consequently, it is a pivotal juncture for stakeholders in these industries to actively participate in the electoral process and advocate for their interests. The construction and built environment industry plays a central rol

PROFILE: My journey to Professional Registration - Mpilo Khumalo

Professional Engineering Technologist (PrTechEng) Mpilo Khumalo recommends Professional Registration to hardhatPROFESSIONALS because he believes it feeds into many other important skills required for a successful career in the hardhatINDUSTRY.


Professional registration always seemed to me to be a daunting task, both in terms of the report and the interview. When talking to colleagues, it sounded impossible due to the negative stories I heard. However, my views changed when I started the journey, as I realized that the report and interview merely provide me with a platform to articulate my competence and engineering acumen, which develops naturally over the years if I work conscientiously. The journey has also allowed me to experience a positive change in terms of opportunities and level of responsibility.

I have observed that mentorship is a serious problem in our industry. I was fortunate to have employers who supported me, even though they were busy. I understood that if I kept knocking on their door, they would eventually make time to help me for 30 minutes or an hour. At the end of the day, it is my career, and I have to approach people or ask for help. No one else is or should be more concerned about my career than me.

Despite the challenges, I would encourage hardhatPROFESSIONALS to pursue this journey. Something good happens to you during the process that you are not aware of while it is happening. For example, your articulation of engineering problems, methods of analysis, and solutions improves significantly, which then feeds into your report writing, presentation, and general interview skills, among many other things.

I would also advise any hardhatPROFESSIONALS embarking on this journey to work diligently, consult mentors (internal and external), and try their best to attend at least one CPD training per year, even at their own cost, because I know some employers do not have the funds. Again, it is your career, and you need to drive it..


Mpilo Khumalo is a Professional Engineering Technologist (PrTech Eng) with just over a decade of experience in the civil engineering industry. He has had the pleasure of working for both construction and consulting firms, but has spent the majority of his career in the consulting space.

Comments