Featured Post

OPINION: Built Environment Professionals' participation in upcoming national elections is vital

Mlondi Cele, a Built Environment Professional, emphasizes the significance of the upcoming national elections for the construction and built sectors. He encourages stakeholders to actively participate and articulate their expectations to influence economic policies and attract investments. Cele believes that the involvement of industry professionals and stakeholders in the elections can positively impact the industry's future and create favorable outcomes for all. The South African elections are of paramount importance to the construction and built sectors, as they have the potential to significantly influence their future trajectories. Economic, policy, and regulatory changes stemming from the elections can either catalyze growth or present novel challenges. Consequently, it is a pivotal juncture for stakeholders in these industries to actively participate in the electoral process and advocate for their interests. The construction and built environment industry plays a central rol

CAREERTIPS: Top 10 job interview questions hardhat professionals find annoying

We compiled a list of popular interview questions that Construction and Built Environment Professional find annoying and what they really think about them. 

1.“What is your greatest weakness?”
If you want to learn something real and interesting about me in non-ideal situations, don’t simply ask, “What are your weaknesses?” Instead ask me something more interesting about actual, challenging situations.

2. ‘What don’t you like about your current job?’
Like I would actually tell you that my boss is sexist and I want to get out of there ASAP!

3. 'Why should we hire you over other applicants?'
Isn't this actually your problem to solve? This is an extremely brainless question, since it commands me to say I am hardworking, smart and love cleanliness, etc.

4. 'You are stranded on a desert island and can only take three items with you. What would they be?'
Every time I hear this question It makes me wonder if I have landed on a Tinder date, rather than a professional interview and the real answer in my head is ‘an unlimited supply of booze and biltong’.

5. 'How honest are you?'
Is this question for real? No one in their right mind will confess that they sometimes tell a little white lie or a load of big ones.

How I wish I could answer the question “After lying throughout my interview, do you still think I will give you an honest answer?”


6. Where Do You See Yourself In Five Years?
Do you Mr or Ms interviewer know where the company will be in the next 5 years? Well, this is simply a question that is too silly to answer. Where I see myself in future is none of your business, unless you are offering a lucrative 5 year working contract. Life is so busy these days and moving so fast that I cannot have clear plans that far out.

7. What are your salary expectations?".
This is not a fair question as an employer, it's your duty to fairly compensate me with a market related salary despite my expectations.

8. If You Could Be A SuperHero, What SuperPowers Would You Want To Get?
Didn’t I express myself aloud that I am not there to attend a magic show? Even if you want to find out about my personality, this still remains a very childish question.

9. What Does Your Previous Boss Has To Say About You?
My old boss shouldn’t be a trusted authority here. He might be addicted to drugs or may have been incompetent

10. Are you high?
When asked this one I am either high, in which case I will deny it, or I am not, in which case I will enthusiastically overstate my case for not being intoxicated and thus convince you that I am, in fact, high.
CAREERTIPS are compiled with the input from both industry employers and Professionals
If you are a Construction/Built Environment Professional and would like to participate subscribe here

If you are you an Employer or Employer representative and you would like to participate . Submit your details here


Comments